HSMA - A Brief Overview
The Home School Music Association, Inc., began as the Home School Band in February, 1993, with ten musicians and one conductor. The organization was established for two purposes:
- To make available to home-schooled students an excellent music education in ensemble performance, music history and theory, and to give desiring students the best possible foundation for the furtherance of their music education beyond the high school level.
- To equip and encourage our students to serve and to fully participate in the music programs of their local church and other music ministries, to the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ by whom our students are endowed with the talents they are developing and using.
In the years since HSMA started, the Lord has richly blessed us. Some HSMA highlights:
- Grew from ten players to about 200 students
- Grew from four member families to over 100 member families
- Grew from one homogeneous group to an organization of four Bands, four String Orchestras, two Choirs, and two Elementary Music Programs
- Performed at home school graduation exercises for three different organizations
- Joined the Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association (MSBOA) and the Michigan School Vocal Music Association (MSVMA)
- Participated in Solo & Ensemble and Band, Choir and Orchestra festivals at District and State level
- Had students selected for the All-Michigan Honors Orchestra and nominated to audition for other honors at the Michigan Youth Arts Festival (MSBOA Outstanding Ensemble, Youth Arts Soloist)
- Had students perform with the Michigan Youth Arts Festival
- Have offered the Artist Circle Award annually to one high school senior who is exceptional in his/her discipline
- Had numerous HSMA alumni go on to study music at the collegiate level
- Performed at the annual I.N.C.H. Conference
- Performed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island
- Performed on tours throughout Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, and New York
HSMA has accomplished these things, and more, as a direct result of the Lord's blessing and the dedication of our member students and parents. As HSMA looks forward, we sincerely hope that you will consider joining the HSMA family.